Slider

Book Talk: Love and Profanity by Nick Healy

07 June 2015

Release Date: March 1, 2015
Book: Love and Profanity
Author: Various, the books was put together by Nick Healy
Number of Pages:232
Series: No
The Basics:Here are more than forty short, brilliant, and unforgettable true stories from writers famous and on-the-rise. Here is the intensity of daily life. Here are transformative moments arising from the mundane. Here are strange and surprising tales that tap into universal truths. Here are teenagers in full splendor and horror. Here they are, bursting with love and profanity. 
Add it on goodreads 







My Musings:

So this book. You got to admit the cover looks super rad, with the tongue and the piercing. The title is really cool plus the fact that these are short stories from writers about their life. I thought for sure that this was going to a fast, amazing read that I would get to fangirl about. I was wrong.

Maybe this is me. Maybe the book itself is really good but I just can't see it. I wanted so much to love it and be a fan. I tried to look for hidden meanings and symbolism to try and make the mundane seam amazing. and not at all boring. I felt like a lot of the stories were just too bland for me. A lot of them were really short with no real meaning or anything I could take away other than "bro that's awkward" or "What? Than's it?". I'm used to short stories having plots and all of these stories had simple plots, like getting nauseous easily, having sex for the first time. That's not to say they were bad, they just didn't capture my attention and if they did get they let me down a little bit.

There were some cute "love" stories here and there that I really like. But to be honest I feel like if I wanted to know what a first date was like, or how much someone liked someone else I could talk to my friends about it. For me this was all too mundane and I didn't really see the so called "transformative moments" in every story. But I think that to the right person at the right time, this could be an amazing book to read, but it just wasn't it for me.

There were a couple stories that I really liked. Like the one about a girl walking to her dads house. I didn't really get all of it, but I liked it. I also liked the one about the guy who didn't drink. There were cool not mundane stories in here it's just that most of them are about day to day life and for me, a person who reads to experience life in a different not boring way, this book wasn't for me. I wanted desperately to see the profound meanings behind the stories but I just couldn't see them. That's not to say they weren't well written, I just didn't always like the subject matter, or the simplicity of it all.

The over writing structure of the stories was good. The way they were put together were good. The only thing for me was the subject matter. I felt like it was lacking some depth but mostly I just didn't find some of the stories intriguing.

My Rating:


Coffee for this book: Cappuccino. That espresso will help you keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan