Slider

Book Talk Ghosting

03 August 2014


Release Date: August 19, 2014
Book: Ghosting
Author: Edith Pattou
Number of Pages: 392
Source: Netgalley (Note I received this book in exchage for an honest review)
The Basics: On a hot summer night in a Midwestern town, a high school teenage prank goes horrifically awry. Alcohol, guns, and a dare. Within minutes, as events collide, innocents becomes victims—with tragic outcomes altering lives forever, a grisly and unfortunate scenario all too familiar from current real-life headlines. But victims can also become survivors, and as we come to know each character through his/her own distinctive voice and their interactions with one another, we see how, despite pain and guilt, they can reach out to one another, find a new equilibrium, and survive. Told through multiple points of view in naturalistic free verse and stream of consciousness, this is an unforgettable, haunting tale.




My Musings:

      Ghosting. The first few things that comes to mind is of course ghosts and ghost hunting. Maybe even Sam and Dean. But I guess ghost can mean different things, not just some remnant spirit, but a night stuck on replay, memories hanging around you 24/7. And I guess you can say there are a lot of different ghosts in this book.
     Now, I love Edith Pattou, I have ever since I read East, so I was super psyched to read this book. Also it's told in verse, which is pretty freakin' awesome. While the cover isn't anything special, it does tie in to the story, which I like.
     If you know me, or read any of my reviews you will know that characterization is a big deal for me. I think the author did great in this department. I loved how each and every character's story line entwined and meld in with each others. The fact that it was told in verse made me like it even more. Right from the get go I was hooked. That first page instantly made me want to keep reading and reading and reading until I finished the whole thing. As I learned more and more about each of the characters the more i cared for them and felt they were real I could relate to all of them on different levels, which I loved. Characterization, I feel was a strong point for this book because even though there were a lot less words on the page, each character felt as real to me as my friends and family. Sometimes, I think it's the way things are said and described that make it pop. Edith Pattou did a fabulous job of making the characters three dimensional. In real life there are no black and white. There's this fuzzy gray thing. And even the "bad"characters had these different sides and back stories that make the reader understand it all.
      Truth be told once I finally started reading this, I had completely forgotten what it was going to be about. Has that ever happened to you? So the plot line was a really nice surprise for me. And may I just say it was pretty awesome! It left me speechless and crying on several occasions. Like no joke I had to stop reading and just cry for a little then continue. Damn those fangirl emotions! Everything was nicely paced making the climax even more dramatic. What I liked a lot about this book was how the story line played out. A lot of it was character driven, which I liked and enjoyed. There were all these politics between this group of friends and everything they said and did all played a role. I liked watching how each character grieved and dealt with their problems and instabilities. Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was how realistic it was. There was no real "happy ending". Nothing was sugar coated or avoided. You saw the raw emotions and reckless actions that people sometimes do.
      Let me tell you now, romance definitely takes a backseat to all the drama and tears and trauma, but it is cute and I ship it so hard. It's nice to see it unfold. There aren't any passionate kisses or hot and steamy moments, but what makes this pairing special is that it's so innocent and nice and cute. Sometimes all it really takes is a smile and a story to like someone.
     If you can't tell by now that I LOVE this book, well then I'll tell you now I LOVE this book. It's a raw and gritty story about a traumatic event and the way it can linger and affect pretty much everything. I definitely recommend you read it!!!

Coffee for this book: This book is sad but hopeful so I think a nice Cuban coffee suits it. It's intense because of the espresso but it's also sweet because of the sugar in it. It's the best of both worlds I think. 

My Rating:






No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan