Slider

Book Talk: Paper Towns by John Green

05 April 2015

Release Date:September 22, 2009
Book: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Number of Pages: 305

The Basics:Who is the real Margo? Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew... 



My Musings:

I love John Green. I love the way he writes, I love the way he creates characters, I love everything about his books. This is the third book by him I've read. The first was TFIOS, and that books was amazing. I even wrote a letters to Augustus and Hazel   and made a playlist for Looking for Alaska. So I was expecting to love this book and be totally in love with every aspect of the novel. Maybe my standards were way too high, maybe it's the fact that I had to read this in tiny increments, but I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong the books is AMAZING but I don't feel as strongly about it as I did TFIOS and Looking for Alaska.

The book hooks you in right away. The writing style is amazing. I love how John Green describes things, the thoughts Q has, and how profound he can be as well as funny. There's something nice about reading a book that can make you actually LOL/ I love the sarcasm, the humor, and not surprisingly quotable lines.

The plot was super well developed I think. It starts off pretty fast pace, things happening in every chapter. For the first quarter I guess Margo and Q are pulling pranks and stuff. But then Margo disappears and the whole books slows down. Which I get. I totally get why it slows down. It adds to the fact that Margo was this ball of fire propelling her life and those around her. Similarly her character propelled the book, albeit a lot slower when she disappeared. But I wish it was just a tiny bit faster. There were so many moments when Q was trying to figure out where Margo was, that broke my heart. Like Prom Night. Or when him and his friends go on a car ride near the end of the book. I love how this was both very character driven and very plot driven. We see Q have a new appreciation for people and life, and we see the journey that leads him to his goal: Margo and understanding her. Which he kind of does at the end of the book.  I loved all the intricate little details in the book, like the black Santas and the bloody Ben story. I loved how every little thing in the book, all the hints, and non-hints all tied together at the end.

If there's one thing I think I love most about John Green novels, is that his characters are so heartbreakingly relatable, realistic, and just damn amazing. Q is this nerdy guy who sticks to routine and is pretty much just there in high school. Margo is the beautiful, charismatic, queen bee. Q is also this guy desperately in love with a girl he thinks he doesn't deserve or have a chance with and wants more out of his life. Margo is a broken person, looking for a way to feel happy again. Ben is this sex crazed pretend macho guy that you simultaneously want to laugh with and slap. But then again, most guys are like that. Radar is pretty nerdy and I love him for it. I like Lacy and her girlyness but I will admit she gets a little annoying. All the storylines intertwine really well together and mesh to create a kind of haunting story about a girl wanting to be found when in reality she just needs to find herself. In reality, while I loved all the characters, I only really connected or could relate to, Margo and Q. Which I didn't really mind because it was centered around them, but I was disappointed that I couldn't like the other characters more.

This is the kind of romance that you ship from the get go. Q and Margo. They just work. You desperately hope for Margo to be alive at the end of the book for them to have their moment. This is the romance that makes you giggle with glee as they laugh and do stupid things. I think it's really cute. I love how Q realizes that Margo isn't the girl he pictured but learns to love her anyway. He learns to love her darker gory bits, not just this glorified image that every one seemed to have of her.

Overall it was a great read. I was a little disappointed with how it lost momentum and how I couldn't really relate to the minor characters. But like I said the plot is golden, the character and character development is on point, and the ending was perfect for this book. Not gonna lie I teared up a bit.





Coffee For This Book: A Vienna. It has the perfect amount of espresso to keep you up reading this book, and whip cream on top to help you eat you feeling when this book gets emotionally hard to read. Which it does

My Rating


No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan